Monday, March 2, 2009

Apples and Oranges

This is not a review on Gazelle's performance in Durban over the weekend. This is a query into the nature of whether Gazelle qualify to be reviewed in this space. Unfortunately, mentioning them merely gives them credence, but they have found their way into this code and must be discussed.

I have often been told that the purpose of this forum, Levi's Original Live Music, is to build up (not to tear down) new and evolving live music in our country. Discussing the nature of anyone's motives in writing, however questionable or self congratulatory they sometimes are, or even why some forms of music are more successful than others, is moot. The point about Levi's Original Live music mag is to write and inform about exciting and original live music. Point stated.

This is why I wonder why Gazelle has even come up in this context. Their instruments are cheap Idi Amin dictator suits, a laptop, djembes and repetitive shouting. I have no problem with electronica, don't misunderstand me. Fifteen years ago I was very into manufactured house music - computer beats, like Gazelle do now. But as a medium I feel it has become lazy and, confined to a solid listenership of white people with no rhythm. I might be wrong. But again I digress.

Before Gazelle come on, an hour and a half late (maybe instrument problems), the venue is filled with banging top-twenty house music, and the crowd is dressed up for a birthday party and bouncing up and down on the dance-floor. When Gazelle start, the only difference is that there is now a guy on stage looking like a b-grade P-Funk cast off, at least thirty years late.

Gazelle are fun, they are jokey and they entertain like the clown at a children's party. Sure, they are fun. I don't even notice when they finish, can't tell the difference
between their music and the repetitive beats that follow.

People I speak to afterward tell me they really liked that middle set from that DJ who was wearing a suit. My compadre that evening says, "This kind of music does nothing to quell the anger in my heart". I think, "I have to get another review in to get paid."

We all have different motives and different tastes. I know, that to my mind, whatever you want to say about the fun factor, the bounce in Gazelle's step, they just don't qualify as original. Come back Felix Laband, all is forgiven.


> from > http://www.levi.co.za/musicmag/Category/Detail/Detail.aspx?ID=1072

No comments:

Post a Comment